Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunday Spotlight: April 14, 2013

If you are just visiting for the first time, it is that time of week when I say a particular thank you to one of my readers acknowledging them for something thoughtful, inspiring, or mindful that they have said in one of their comments. It is not just about flattery [although that is nice sometimes too ;-) ]; it is about walking away from the comment and wanting to touch on and explore an idea they have presented.  Sometimes it might just be one or two words that they have said that reaches out and elicits a response in me.  

As a way of saying thanks, I will present this person with an advanced copy of a freebie that I promise, no one else will be able to get their hand on for at least three months and possibly longer.  Of course it might take awhile, I'm currently about 10 behind, although technically five are unclaimed.  One of them might just be you so don't forget to check each Sunday if you are in the habit of leaving comments.

So without further ado, the comment I'm highlighting and reflecting on this week belongs to...



VICKY

who said this:
You should become an author!!!! I would soooo buy those books of yours. Awesome stories for those new images!!! on Promotional Post: New Digis at Fresh Brewed Designs & Scribbles Designs

Although I have already thanked her, I don't think that Vicky truly has an idea of what an incredible honour it was to receive this comment.  It truly meant the world to me.  You see I've always wanted to write creatively.  I even started a book several years ago that just never went anywhere past the first two chapters unfortunately.  

Now, throughout my career working in the field of disabilities, I did do a LOT of professional writing.  I wrote curriculum, instruction manuals and many, many handouts/worksheets for teaching learning strategies to students primarily with learning disabilities.  My proudest accomplishment is a 300 + page manual I wrote back in 1998 called Train the Trainer:  Literacy and Learning Disabilities.  It is a training package developed as a resource for literacy personnel who will be training literacy practitioners working with adults who have learning disabilities. Got it?  I know, it is a mouthful.  It is intended to be used by teachers and trainers who have already gone through the training themselves. Even today, fifteen years later, it is still a resource available in certain libraries and when I did a search tonight to see if there is still information on it out there in cyberland, I found it listed in a "Best Practices and Innovations" document.  So, I can still be proud after all this time that something I created is still being circulated.  

Even though I had successes as a professional writer, it didn't curb the desire to write creatively.  However, since I have embarked on a new path in life, blogging and card making, I am finding new opportunities to practice my writing skills.  If you have been following me these past few months, you will have noticed that I have started creating storylines for the many beloved images I use, showcase or promote.  As a result of this endeavour, I have been asked by Sandy, the owner of Scribbles Designs to carry the stories I create here for your entertainment over to the Scribbles Designs Challenge blog.  I even have a brand new spiffy title, and badge to go along with the position.

Is that cool or what?  

So, who knows what the future will hold.  Maybe there will be an illustrated book starring the infamous "B"*  and his adventures in witness protection, or a pamphlet on the importance of birth control starring Bellina, Maximus, Benito and the horde of MacBunnys^  to come.  Or, maybe they will all pay a visit to the fantasy world of the Magic Tree~. The future is wide open and I am just happy to be writing once again. 

*character created by Sandy from Scribbles Designs
^characters created by Naomi from Creative Bug Digitals
~concept created by Lyn from  Dragonsmoore:  Spyder's Other Corner

Honourable mentions include:
  •  Lisa this is really great! You have such a wonderful way with words! Jennifer on Promotional Post: New Digis at Fresh Brewed Designs & Scribbles Designs
  • Wonderful insight Lisa. Thanks for the in depth research. Hugs Desíre {Doing Life – my personal blog} on Google Friends Connect is Apparently Sticking Around...For Now Anyways
  • LOL... I could never get fed up with you, you are the best DT leader out there with your amazing organizational skills .. no one gets to see what you do in the background and it simply blows my mind, I honestly could never do it, I will be happy being your side kick , be sure to tell your ego..LOL Thank you once again for promoting my images and having such faith in me Lisa, you inspire me and encourage me like no other, I don't know if you even know the effect you have on people, you are beautiful and I am so proud to call you my bestie!! Big Hugs Naomi on Bit By the Bug Tuesday: Bouquet and Wine Bottle
  • Well done Lisa on your recognition, you deserve it for all your hard work and sheer talent. I think it is so lovely of you to do this each month, thankyou for the pat on the back :) Love Mandy xxx on Congratulatory Considerations for March
  • Lisa!!! You are certainly a crafty one and what an artist. Your job description sounded like a wonderful place and what you've showcased here today is adorable! I love the detail in the fur of the rabbit and that precious gnome taking a rest is awesome!!! You should brag....you did an amazing job ;) Lisa M. on Flashback Friday: April 6, 2013
  • Oh, that is soooooo cute. I bet it looked awesome on the mural. Did you get to paint it in and everything ???? It's fabulous and decidedly worth 'bragging' about Lisa :-D WE WANT MORE !!! (chanting this end) LoL IKE xxxx on Flashback Friday: April 6, 2013
  • I love the rabbit picture. You are a very talented artist. Hugs~Patti on Flashback Friday: April 6, 2013
  • Wow Lisa, you've had talent for a LONG time! This is beautiful. Are the murals still up in the library? ~Deb~ CDAC DT Member A Look Through My Eyes Deb on Flashback Friday: April 6, 2013
  • ohhhhh wow how stunning!!! That would make an awesome digi!!!! WOW you are sooo talented. Unbelievable. Vicky on Flashback Friday: April 6, 2013
  • Wow! Lisa, this is a wonderful post. We are so pleased and proud that you've chosen to feature My Paper Crafting, Paper Crafting World and some of our projects. You've been such a wonderful supporter of our link ups and we can't tell you how much we appreciate your efforts to highlight fellow crafters, artists, and blogs. You're doing a wonderful thing for our crafting community. Looking forward to awarding our digis to one of your followers. Big crafty hugs and many thanks, Larelyn on Saturday Showcase: April 6, 2013
While this next one isn't an honourable mention I just wanted to note how cool it was that someone I referenced actually took the time to come over and check out what I had written.  When I put together the piece on Google Friends Connect sticking around for awhile yet, I made sure to leave comments on all the sites I researched, thanking them for the info and telling them I had used their info as a reference when putting the piece together.  Well wasn't I surprised when one of them actually came over to check out what I had written.
 
Thank you everyone for your continued support of my blog.  Please know just how much all your comments mean to me.   Always know that I read every single one and respond when I can. Without you spending some of your valuable time coming over and leaving me comments, there would no incentive to continue doing what I'm doing!  So as always, thanks from the bottom of my heart for your continued support. 

Wishing you all a wonderful week!

Until next time, 

 

5 comments:

Made by Mandy said...

Love you spiffy new title, you are a very engaging writer so I guess this is another wonderfully creative way for you to use your talents. You would write amazingly descriptive stories with lessons in them like Aesop's Fables. Where do we sign up for a copy of your new book??

Have a happy Sunday my friend.

Love Mandy xxx

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow, now we have a thorough idea why you are such a wonderful story teller and writer. Licky Vicky has said, you really have a way with words.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

ike said...

Oh, Wowza - totally cool Badge.... now you are Lisa SCD... I look forward to the little stories immensely :-D You always make me smile. :-D
Hugz
IKE xx

Crafting Vicky said...

Ohhhh I'm so in line for purchasing that future book of yours!!! So glad that you are writing about the characters and making them a story line it makes so much fun. Looking forward to the birth control booklet lol 'cause I think with rabbit it might be required lol ;) Have a fabulous Sunday and so very glad that my truthful comment could make you happy!

Jennifer said...

Lisa, I just love your creativity with words! Something I don't have and admire! I'm so glad that you have this new position and I love your new badge!
ps.....a book? I'll be looking for it!